Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The difference between motherhood and parenthood

Today, I learned what is the difference between motherhood and parenthood. I wasn't even aware that there was a difference, probably because one is so close to the other. Also, I have been a mother as long as I have been a parent.

As a mother, my role is to love, nurture, dry tears, encourage and support them. As a parent, my role is to educate, show the difference between right and wrong and to be a teacher to my children. For me, those two roles are so close to each other, like a soft high quality woven cotton,  that I can hardly differentiate them.

Let me explain : I asked E, my daughter, to clean the bathroom and she did it. The problem is that she missed so many spots... she cut corners, forgot the light fixtures, didn't clean behind the toilet and she also didn't empty the basket. I assumed that she knew what I wanted, how I wanted it done but I was wrong.

The problem is that I never showed her how to clean the bathroom nor have I shared my expectations of her with her. I haven't done my parenting job. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It's just one of many lessons that comes with being a mom.

How come I could have miss the difference between the two? I feel so dumb that it took so long for me to see it!

But now I know, and with that knowledge, I am going, like now, to show E how to clean that damn bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment